- Music videos demonstrate genre characteristics (e.g. Stage Performance in a Rock video and dance routines in a pop video)
- There is a relationship between lyrics and visuals
- There is a relationship between music and visuals
- The demands of the record label will include close ups of the artist to develop motifs (visual style)
- Reference to the notion of looking (screens within screens, telescopes etc.)
- There is often inter-textual reference to films,TV, Programmes and other music videos.
Intertextuality should instantly be a recognisable symbol of pop culture as it interacts with the audience by bringing in current affairs which is a great promotional tool to establish a fan base.